Open Data Incubator Europe (ODINE)
ODINE offers financial support of up to 100,000 € to European innovators to grow their open-data idea into a sustainable business. We accept project proposals from SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises) working with open data from 1 May 2015 to 31 August 2016. New proposals will be assessed every two months by a panel of external reviewers and selected projects will run for up to six months.
The next deadline for the submission of proposals is August 31st, 2015.
Important documents and links
Guide for applicants: all you need to know about the ODINE call.
ODINE call announcement: a summary of the most important facts, figures, and deadlines of the ODINE call.
FAQs: a list of frequently asked questions, which we will continue to update in response to your feedback.
- Templates: documents you need to submit your application to the ODINE call.
- Submission platform
We will send updates about ODINE and other related events periodically. You can subscribe to our newsletter at http://opendataincubator.eu or follow us on Twitter @ODincubator.
For SMEs building a business using open data
The ODINE call targets Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) building a business around open data. SMEs are defined according to the EU Commission Recommendation 2003/361/EC and the SME user guide. The funding is intended for single entities, rather than consortia of multiple entities.
Applications must have a clear focus on open data innovation. Open data is understood according to the definition by the Open Data Handbook as ‘data that can be freely used, reused and redistributed by anyone – subject only, at most, to the requirement to attribute and sharealike’.
Funds can be used in accordance to the Horizon 2020 financial guidelines. They can be spent on salaries, equipment, consumables, travels, subcontracting to other parties (e.g., for marketing or legal support), and indirect expenditure (office space, office infrastructure etc., which are calculated as 25% of the total direct costs).
The applicant must be registered with the European Commission as an SME at the time of submission.
Online proposals describing your idea, its potential impact, your team, and the required funding
Applications are made online and will consist of a short proposal presenting the idea and the budget required for its realization, as well as administrative information.
Evaluation by independent experts, shortlisted companies invited for an online interview
Each proposal will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Strength and novelty of the idea
- Usage and/or creation of open data
- Value proposition and potential scale
- Market opportunity and timing
- Triple bottom line impact (social, environmental, economic)
Team and budget
- Knowledge and skills of the team
- Capacity to realise the idea
- Appropriateness of the budget to realize the idea
- We prioritise those who work on things that matter.
Evaluation will be divided into different stages:
Eligibility check. We will check the eligibility of the applicants and withdraw proposals that are invalid submissions.
Proposal review. Each proposal will be scored against the criteria above, and we will shortlist candidates for Stage 3.
Interview. A 20-minute interview (via Google hangout or similar) with a panel of two independent reviewers.
Negotiations. Finalise milestones and contract with ODINE.
New companies joining every two months, starting from July 2015
Proposals will be evaluated at cut-off dates every two months starting from 1 July 2015. Stages 1 to 3 will be completed within a month after a cut-off deadline and negotiations are expected to take two to four weeks. If successful, you will receive 30% of the funds upfront, with the remaining 70% dependent on hitting the agreed milestones at the end of the mini-project.